Test your knowledge of sapphires, and learn some interesting facts about September’s royal birthstone.
- In addition to being the birthstone for September, what number wedding anniversary do sapphires celebrate?
- Blue sapphire is a variety of the mineral called corundum. What other gemstone comes from corundum?
- The blue sapphire is derived from the Greek word, sappheiros. What does the word mean?
- Sapphires come in many colors. What is the most valuable and in-demand color?
- The Star of India is the world’s largest gem-quality blue star sapphire, and is around two billion years old. In what famous museum is it displayed?
- On the Mohs scale of hardness, sapphires rate a 9.0. What gem is harder?
- What did the ancient Greeks believe sapphires symbolized?
- The ancient Persians believed the earth was supported by a giant sapphire and that it gave what its blue hue?
- According to Jewish midrash, Moses’ sapphire tablets were carved from where?
- The late Diana, Princess of Wales, famously chose a blue sapphire and diamond ring for her engagement to Prince Charles. Replicas of the ring became so popular with people, that it was given what nickname?
September Birthstone Quiz Answers:
- Sapphires celebrate the 45th wedding anniversary.
- Rubies also come from the mineral corundum.
- The Greek word, sappheiros, meaning blue stone.
- Blue sapphires are the most expensive and desirable of all sapphire colors.
- The Star of India is on exhibit in the Morgan Memorial Hall of Gems at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City.
- Diamonds are the only gem to rank a 10 on the Mohs scale of hardness.
- The ancient Greeks believed sapphires were a symbol of wisdom and purity.
- The ancient Persians believed a giant sapphire gave the sky its blue hue.
- According to Jewish midrash, Moses’ sapphire tablets were carved from the throne of God, making them the most precious gemstone.
- Princess Diana’s ring became so popular with the public that it became known as “the commoner’s ring.”
If you’re looking to buy a birthday gift of jewelry for a loved one born in September, or some gemstone jewelry for yourself, Adina by Empire Jewelers has a beautiful collection of estate and vintage jewelry, available at true wholesale prices. Shop online today and enjoy our vast selection of fine estate and vintage jewelry, plus watches, diamonds, gold, sterling silver, coins and more. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.